Welcome to a place featuring thoughtful conservative commentary and policy analysis with an Alabama focus.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

About This Blog

Welcome to the Alabama Political Review, a blog meant to offer thoughtful conservative commentary on public issues with an Alabama focus. I have set up this blog as a resource for voters, legislators, and other policymakers who are interested in thoughts and research from one young Alabamian who wants to make a difference in this state.

As my biography indicates, I have lived in central Alabama almost all my life. I was born in Birmingham, then raised in Wilsonville and the Birmingham suburbs of northern Shelby County. I graduated from Oak Mountain High School in 2007 and then left the state for three years to attend Georgetown University in Washington, DC. I stayed connected to many things Alabama while away, working in Senator Sessions' office for two years. In 2008, I traveled across Alabama in the sweltering days of summer working for Senator Sessions' re-election campaign. Traveling the state and meeting so many people confirmed my lasting interest in Alabama politics and Alabama issues. It also inspired my desire to serve the state by offering thoughts on local, state, and national issues.

While I was at Georgetown, I became interested in the precise issue, what makes a conservative? One of my professors taught me that conservatism is a disposition, or a way of looking at things. It involves a respect for the past, which led me to major in history, and a knowledge of society and its institutions, which led me to major in government. It also requires an interest in thoughtfulness and a willingness to consider ways to govern well in limited fashion. I now hope to use these principles which I studied to contribute in a small way to making this state a better place to live and work.

I hope that you will find these posts informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment